Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My thoughts on Lambeth

ABC Rowan Williams had a good idea that built and renewed relationships which should be mutually advantageous despite differences. Very well done.

The GAFCON folks are probably already gone. That isn't all bad IMO. Those who remain seem to be the folks whose Bibles con/retain the Gospels, have actually read them and try to live as Jesus taught. Losing members can be healthy. When the dissension is gone, church is easier. That doesn't mean I think disagreement should be banished. But the destructive elements rarely decide to get along and are better off finding a more comfortable place.

Yes, LGBTs are once again told to wait till hell freezes over. I pray TEC and ACofC ignore the moratorium on sexual matters as the invaders will ignore the moratorium on stealing parishes and dioceses. Somebody has to lead. I don't see anything to lose by confirming that LGBTs are people too, entitled to the rights and privileges of all others. I don't believe the Anglican Communion is worth sacrificing each other in violation of Jesus's teaching to love all and judge none.

At the same time I believe the AC is a good idea which should be maintained. Perhaps a judicious self-pruning will return it to what it has always been - a home for many opinions of what the Bible actually says and a gracious willingness to share the eucharist with all who are trying to follow Jesus. That would be a positive result of Lambeth.

Of course who cares what this Lutheran thinks? Sunday I received a stern lecture about not transferring my membership already. I never seriously considered it until recently. If Christ Church gets some stability before I get discouraged, I will probably stay. If not, the next option is St. Clement's. If that is not a compatible match either, I will return to my home Lutheran parish which I still support. After all, church is a creation of men. I have no problem switching to find a comfortable home which usually means good music. bg

4 comments:

Jay Phillippi said...

The concept of sternly lecturing someone on transferring membership just leaves me dumbfounded.

Another case of the cart getting in front of the horse.

PseudoPiskie said...

It was deserved probably.

Crimson Rambler said...

Hello darlin'! So glad to have found your new blog, thank you for the heads-up!

Anonymous said...

I keep it simple, I don't have official"memberships" to transfer. lol
when I am a member of a church everyone knows it because of my big mouth(and sometimes my big heart)
happy new blog Shel!
Eak