Sunday, August 8, 2010

Post BCF Week 4 2010


The audience was large and appreciative. The choir was pretty good. The tenor seemed to be straining. The soprano Mary Wilson is possibly the best for that sort of repertoire. Her Exsultate Jubilate was the finest I have ever heard - by far! No wonder Susan S and David Newman like her. I spoke to her after the concert and she said Susan wrote she had a friend in the chorus. Susan is a blog friend. My freshman year at Westminster Choir College David threw me over his shoulder and carried me up the street like a sack of potatoes on our first runout to New York then apologized because he didn't know how old I was. My world keeps shrinking.

I got a kick out of using my big "opera" voice. I never do and few have ever heard it. Anton Armstrong wanted our alto solo voices, our black mama voices. Hee.

I thought we were very privileged to have Ann Howard Jones in our audience and told her so. I met her years ago during the Long Island Choral Festival. A beautiful woman.

The four of us crazies who were the Berkshirettes and sang 8 bars of altered Motown music were very well received. Brevity is always best. As former Greenville Symphony conductor Ivan Romanenko always said, "It's better to leave the audience wanting more than to have them wondering when the program will end."

Photos are here.

2 comments:

Forsythia said...

I'd love to hear your "operatic" voice. One of our daughters has been blessed with one. She inherited it from her great-grandmother, and at least one of my sister's daughters also inherited it. The rest of us just squeak as best we can.

susan s. said...

"David Newman. . . .because he didn't know how old I was." That is so cute! I, myself, love the younger men that always turn up in the choirs I sing in!

I look forward to pictures!